The Be Active Wales Fund offers grants from £300 to £50,000 for projects in Wales that intend to do at least one of the following:
- reduce inequality
- create long-term sustainability
- introduce new or different ways of operating
For example, funding could be used to:
- upskill volunteers where clubs you have gaps in skills or experience
- buy equipment that allows more people to take part in sport
- develop new or different ways to deliver physical activity
- uses technology to engage more people
- reach people currently under-represented in sport and physical activity.
More information: What will the Be Active Wales Fund and Crowdfunder support?
Who is eligible
You are eligible if you’re a not-for-profit club or community organisation in Wales with a project or activity that:
- has not yet started
- will take place in Wales and be mainly for people who live in Wales
- not only for the benefit of pupils of a school where the project takes place
How we assess applications
We assess projects based on how funding will make a difference for your club or organisation or people in your community. We fund projects that aim to meet at least one of the Be Active Wales Fund goals.
1. Reduce inequality
Certain groups are currently underrepresented in sport. We will support applications that increase participation in sport and representation for:
- women and girls
- people with a disability
- people from a black, asian and minority ethnic group or background (bame)
- lesbian, gay and bisexual people
- transgender people
- people living in social economic deprivation / disadvantage
- those who use the welsh language
2. Create long-term sustainability
We will support any projects that will help you set up to succeed in the long-term.
For example: Creating improvements to facilities, addressing a need for skills or enabling more people to take part in your sport.
3. Introduce new or different ways of delivering physical activity
This could be anything that helps you to deliver physical activity in a new and different way.
For example: Providing online sessions, new types of equipment or using online tools.
If you don’t think your project meets any of the above three goals but would still make a big difference to your community, please get in touch with us to discuss your project.
How to contact us
Or phone the helpline on 0300 3003102, Monday to Friday, between 10:00-12:30 & 1:15-16:00.
How many times can I apply?
You can apply once per club or group every financial year (April to April).
How is funding awarded?
The minimum award is £300 and the maximum award is £50,000*.
The funding is awarded on a sliding scale:
- 100% grant up to £10,000
- 90% grant for awards between £10,001 and £25,000
- 80% grant for awards between £25,001 and £50,000
* You will need to make a contribution of 10% for grants over £10k or 20% over £25k.
How to apply
You can apply with us online. Please fill out our Expression of Interest Form and we will get back to you within 2 working days with further information on making an application.
Before you apply, we suggest you contact at least one of these groups for guidance in your application:
- your national governing body if you have one
- your local authority sports development department
- any other relevant support organisations
Please be advised that applications may be submitted in English or Welsh and any application submitted in Welsh will be treated no less favourably than an application submitted in English.
If you already have an application pending with us, you can still log into our application portal.