A new strategy to help prevent and reduce obesity in Wales has been welcomed by Sport Wales.
The Healthy Weight: Healthy Wales strategy, launched today by Welsh Government, aims to tackle figures that show 60% (1.5 million) of the adult population is overweight or obese.
The document highlights some key areas for sport, including:
- Better promotion of, and more opportunities to access, local green spaces and rights of way for recreation.
- Physical activity routinely built into infrastructure and funding decisions, such as 21st Century Schools, health and social care sites, housing and regeneration.
- Increased investment into high quality sport facilities and scaled support for communities to invest in community assets.
- A range of goals around active travel.
- A recognition of the importance of physical literacy and activity throughout the school environment, as well as the need to ensure schools are active environments.